Monday, December 14, 2015

Doctrine and Covenants 122-123

(December 12, 2015)
                There was a time when I struggled with Joseph Smith – I felt like I had a good testimony of the Savior and of the Atonement, of the Priesthood, and of the Book of Mormon, but my testimony of Joseph Smith was lacking.

                That has changes as I have been forced to go through difficult times.  I see so much of myself in him, it has helped me to realize that he was a real person.  Seeing him in that fashion, it makes it all the more clear to me that he did what he said he did and experienced what he said he experienced (because that is true of me, as well).

                In these Sections, I was struck by the Lord’s statement about the testimony of traitors.  The Lord recognizes that their influence would cast Joseph into trouble (and it did – ultimately costing Joseph his life).  The Lord also spoke of other consequences to Joseph from the false testimony of traitors (much of which I could empathize because of my own experience with false swearing).

                Fortunately, though, I do not expect to be a martyr for the Gospel.  Still, having experienced what I have experienced, I know how hard it must have been for Joseph to hear that all these things would give him experience and be for his good.  It is true, of course, but it is hard doctrine to accept.  Still, its acceptance is the pathway to peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment