Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Doctrine and Covenants 89

(November 15, 2015)
                I am a meat eater – I truly love the taste of steak or well-prepared chicken (or just about any other meat).  But I also take very seriously the words of the Lord revealed through His prophets, and that means that I struggle quite a bit with this Section.  On its face, it seems to indicate that my eating habits are not at all appropriate (I certainly cannot be accused of eating meat sparingly).

                So I am faced with a dilemma – and it is one where the obvious choice is not the choice that I want to be true.  I can rationalize and contextualize what I want to happen, and I am clever enough to present a plausible case for what I want to be true.  But the reality is that I don’t think that I am right in what I am doing – I am not living the Word of Wisdom the way that I should when it comes to meat.  It is easy for me to tell others to live according to the revealed words of the prophets when it is their sacred cows being gored.  Do I have the faith and the courage to follow the words of the prophets when it is my very real cows being butchered?


                I hope so – in any event, I have a challenge ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment