Friday, April 18, 2014

Exodus 29

(March 11, 2014)
There are so many things seem strange from the Old Testament, and the general thinking seems to be that it is indicative of a brutish or ignorant past.  But I am not so sure.  The more I learn about the way that the world works, the more I recognize that I really have no idea how the world works.  This applies to God as well.  I used to think I had knowledge of God and knew His mind.  The more I learn, the more I recognize that I really don’t know God – His thoughts are not my thoughts and His ways are not my ways.  I have gone from the presumption that any questionable material in the scriptures was an archaic remnant of a less-civilized age to the questioning supposition that maybe it is my thinking and my age that is less-civilized.

I raise this issue here because of the idea that the Lord loves the smell of the burnt offering.  I could not imagine that – it made no sense (pun intended) to me.  I assumed that it was just an analogy or a way of describing a more refined and spiritual concept.  But am I right on that?  Who am I to assume that I know better than the explicit language of the scriptures?

No comments:

Post a Comment