Wednesday, December 3, 2014

3 Nephi 20

(December 3, 2014)
                I have felt the chains of sin holding me back over the last year or more as I have tried to become something better than I was.  The frustrating thing about the chains around our neck – the truth that we continually attempt to lie to ourselves about – is that we have put those chains on our necks.  Not Satan, not those around us – we have willingly placed chains around our neck that we cannot escape from.

                This just shows the awesome majesty of the Atonement – that Christ would suffer and die for the things that we willingly did to injure ourselves.  I could see dying for someone – it is difficult to imagine doing, but I could see it (my children being the prime example I can think of).  What I cannot imagine right now – showing the deficiency of love I have in my life – is dying for someone who hates me, and dying to correct their willing mistake.


                But, if I close my eyes, I can just imagine loving someone that much.  And if I can imagine feeling that way about someone, I know that the Lord can bring me to the point where I genuinely hold that degree of charity for them. Such charity would be a wonderful gift, and I hope to continue until I reach that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment