Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Ether 7-8

(December 21, 2014)
                The Jaredite story is one of those things that really brings verisimilitude to the Book of Mormon.  So much of what is written doesn’t seem to make sense until you dig into it, and only after your do are you able to see what is actually going on.  Serving in captivity is a bizarre concept, until you recognize that the Mesoamerican system included over-kings and tribute kings, and the tribute kings would give taxes to the over-king – essentially living in captivity while still maintaining the capacity to rule.

                So many things like this demonstrate to me just how little I know (considering how little I understood things before I assume I have as far to go in the future), and how much depth is actually there to be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment