Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Mormon 2

(December 10, 2014)
                Mormon makes a unique argument in this chapter that I don’t really know how to square with my understanding of the doctrine.  He states that the people of his time – having refused to humble themselves and partake of the Atonement (refusing to repent and forgive) had reached a point where the day of grace had passed, and they were lost.  As I understand things, there is no one beyond redemption in mortality save two classes of people.  First, those who have committed the unpardonable sin.  Second, those who have willingly murdered – actions in warfare do not count.

                With that in mind, how is this to be interpreted?  I don’t think that they were all murderers – even if they were in battle, there has always been a distinction made in such instances.  I don’t think that they all were Sons of Perdition, as despite their sinning against the great light they had, I doubt they all reached that point.

                My guess is that Mormon is either (1) using the phrase in a non-literal sense; (2) describing the past – he had since seen them fall (even those alive at the time), and knew that they would not repent; or (3) speaking not of any individual but rather of the Nephites as a people – the individuals might repent, but the society was doomed regardless.  I tend to lean towards the third interpretation, even though the language is still somewhat unclear.


                That being said, I have seen those who reach a point where they are clearly in misery yet despite whatever adversity or kindness the Lord brings to bear on them, they cannot bring themselves to repent.  For people like these, even on an individual level, I can understand the use of the phrase ‘the day of grace has passed them.’  I don’t think it is literally true – I think if they found a way to humble themselves and partake of the Atonement it could still be applied to them – but I think as a practical matter is it far closer to true than we are comfortable with admitting.  This is yet another reminder to me of how important it is to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, to avoid reaching such a point ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment