Tuesday, February 3, 2015

2 Nephi 7-8

(January 27, 2015)
                I wonder why it is that we fear men so much. After all, if we have a testimony there's absolutely nothing that we should worry about other people doing to us. Especially since, in our modern society, we don't have to worry about most forms of physical violence – a luxury that the ancient children of Israel weren't blessed with.

                Yet for whatever reason, at least in my life I find myself fearing what man can do far more than what God can do. My fear doesn't focus on something as obvious as physical violence – my fear is more focused on what should be simple things (I fear the anger of men or the disappointment of men, even when there's no good reason why I should care about the opinions of those who intimidate me).


                Discouraging though it is, it must come down to a simple lack of faith. When I'm confronted I tend to forget my testimony and it isn't until I'm outside of the situation that I realize how pointless and misplaced my fear is. In that sense, I suppose I should be grateful for my fear of man because it opens my eyes to deficiencies of faith that I still have to address.

No comments:

Post a Comment