Tuesday, February 3, 2015

2 Nephi 9

(January 28, 2015)
                I had a couple of thoughts as I read through this chapter.  The first was on Jacob’s clear language concerning the omniscience of God.  It is made clear that He knoweth all things, and there is nothing that exists that He does not know.  In our modern society, there have been all sorts of attempts to reason ourselves out of this particular truth, but I have never understood the reluctance or difficulty that this doctrine gives to others.  After all, the idea of a perfect plan designed by an all-knowing God who loves us perfectly gives meaning and understanding to our daily challenges and makes suffering bearable.


                The other thought was how true the language is that it is awful to yield to the enticings of the evil one.  I have wasted years of my life yielding to those enticings and know first-hand the destruction that such behavior can cause.  I also know the joy that comes when the yielding to Satan’s enticings end and is replaced with a firm desire to give our wills over completely to God.  I have read this verse probably over a hundred times in my life before this time, and yet it was this time that I finally was prepared in my heart to understand what Jacob was speaking about.  It still amazes me the truth and wisdom contained in this book of scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment