Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Jeremiah 37-39

(February 2, 2015)

                Zedekiah asking Jeremiah whether there was any word from the Lord was astonishing.  After all, this is the wicked king who turned from the Lord – and yet, he believed enough to go to the Lord’s prophet for information.  I think there is a deeply-ingrained sense of the right and wrong in each of us.  I have certainly demonstrated a capacity for self-deception in my life (likely continuing – if I am deceiving myself now almost by definition I wouldn’t know where), but even in those times of self-deception there was a part of me that knew.  There was an eternal portion, beyond reason and passion, that seems to know the truth.  And it seems that Zedekiah has a similar portion of himself that knew the truth regardless of how little he wanted to follow the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment