Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Alma 3-4

(March 17, 2015)
                It seems that the less grounded that a belief is to the Spirit, the stronger we feel the need to defend that belief from those who disagree with us.  When my testimony was fragile (and intellectual), I would argue with those who did not hold to my beliefs with passion.  My arguments were often good, but they were rarely Christ-like.

                On the other hand, as my testimony has been changed over into the Spiritual conversion that was far too long coming (because of my weakness), I find that the arguments that I would have made I often don’t make any more.  If someone believes otherwise, I find it easier to love them and invite them rather than needing to confront them.  As my testimony is strengthened, my concern of others believing differently than I do because less pernicious.  Now I want others to experience the same blessings as I do, rather than needing others to believe as I do for my benefit.


                I think that this is a general mortal response.  I have seen in others that the strongest and most vocal advocates for many positions are those who seem to be the most fragile in their beliefs.  This correlates with the apostates now, and with the apostates described in this chapter.  After having left the faith (whether partially or all but in name), they turned on those who did not believe according to their will and pleasure to persecute them.  We see that now, as those who disagree with the Church will attack anyone who holds to the Church and its teachings (sheeple, Morbots, etc. – as though only people who had not encountered opposing arguments could possibly hold to the Church).  I think this is a similar symptom – these attacks come because of the fragility of the apostates’ beliefs in their new position rather than a position of strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment