Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Daniel 7

(March 17, 2015)
                It would be fair to say that I am often Panglossian in my approach to this world.  I take the perspective that the world and everything in it is a perfect culmination of God’s perfect plan.  With that firmly in my mind, it makes it much easier to deal with the setbacks and trials of life, because I can trust that they will result to the ultimate glory of God (and my happiness).

                While I believe that I am correct to do this, I sometimes carry it too far and start to mistakenly think that because I am doing what I should that good temporal results should come my way.  Of course, we have no such promise of that.  In fact, if anything we have the opposite expectations.  As Daniel said, the enemies made war with the saints and prevailed against them.  It was only with the coming of Christ and Adam back to the Earth that the circumstances were capable of being changed.

                Temporal peace and prosperity are not the natural condition for disciples of Christ, and when we have the opportunity to experience them it should be with the deepest of gratitude.  Meanwhile our trials and adversity will be for our benefit, but we cannot expect to escape these trials so long as this world is in its fallen condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment