Thursday, September 11, 2014

2 Chronicles 21-23

(September 11, 2014)
                The expression that the king had slain his brethren which were better than he was is a simple reminder that those who prosper in mortality (even those reaching the highest levels in mortality) are not necessarily more righteous or virtuous (and perhaps may even have reached that level through their wickedness).  We live in a fallen world, and it is too easy to lose sight of that fact as we struggle with our own fallen natures.

                My second thought was on the king taking the same counselors after the death of his father.  Here we have a situation where the kings father was wicked, a prophet prophesized about his destruction, and that destruction came true.  Then the king, having witnessed what happened to his father, then emulates him by hiring the same cabal to advise him.

                We see that all the time – people who have failed at some task or another (whether political, religious, family, or really anything) who are then very vocal about what should be done.  The same parasites seem to leap from administration and bureaucracy to administration and bureaucracy, never being held to account for their failures.  Advisors in religion and family make messes of their own lives, and never take any steps to correct them.  It is important that we take counsel from those who have achieved what we want to achieve, rather than the ‘realists’ who tell us that such achievements are impossible.

                Finally, the queen’s words when she saw her grandson seated on the throne (“Treason!”) were illuminating.  The queen was an illegitimate usurper – and she knew that more than anyone.  Yet she had been lying to herself and others for so long that when she saw the legitimate king having been crowned, she instantly resorted back to the lies that none would ever believe but herself.  She had lied to herself for so long that she no longer could recognize the king, and rather than bow to the legitimate king she chose destruction.

                Each of us in life have the lies that we have told ourselves – I have yet to meet an exception to this pernicious sin.  I used to think that I was the exception, until I came to realize that this sin was not something just applicable to other people but was also applicable to me.  Each of us have lied to ourselves, and in some areas of our lives each of us have falsely claimed that we are the kings or queens of our lives and destinies.  Whether that lie comes across as sin, or hatred for our fellow brothers and sisters, or anything else, it is there.

                The time comes when we are brought face to face with the King.  In that moment, we need to either bow ourselves down and repent, and allow ourselves to be forgiven, or we bury ourselves in our lies further, cry out ‘Treason! Agency!’ and reap our own destruction.  Each of us has that choice and none of us can escape it.  I have, in the past, felt the destruction and darkness that consumed me as I turned away from the Lord in pursuit of my sins.  I now enjoy the light and peace coming in to my life as I acknowledge my mistakes and seek to have the true King replace me as the director of my life.


                Having been in both positions, I can only say how much happier it is to have the right King leading my life, rather than my poor efforts to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment