Thursday, September 11, 2014

Mosiah 28

(September 11, 2014)
                One thing that struck me as I was reading through this chapter (that I didn’t recall having noticed before) was that Mosiah still had the plates nearing the time of his death.  This was at least decades after he had delegated to Alma the role of leader of the Church, but yet he was still throughout this time period acting as seer for the Church and translating the records.

                Oftentimes I think I mistake the form and practice of the Church for the Church itself.  In our modern era, the Prophet holds all the keys of the Church, and if there was translation of ancient records to be done, I would expect President Monson to be the one doing the translating.  But upon reflection, I realize that I cannot truly say that.  The Lord calls who He will call to whatever position that He will have them fill.  The Prophet is called to a particular stewardship, and that stewardship is not all-encompassing.


                Of course, this thought process can be taken too far (we all have heard from those who, having realized that the Prophet is neither perfect nor omniscient, determine that a fallible Prophet is not worth following at all – a dangerous and predictable heresy).  But it is worth remembering that the Lord assigns us tasks and within those tasks we have all the authority we need (and those given different tasks must be respected in their authorities and stewardships as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment