Monday, September 15, 2014

2 Chronicles 24-25

(September 12, 2014)
                I had two thoughts as I read through these chapters.  The first was on Joash turning away from the Lord after Jehoiada died.  This is something that I have seen a few times in my life – a truly righteous man or women who acts as an anchor to those around him or her in the Gospel, and yet when this person dies many of the people who anchored themselves to him or her spiral out of control or out of the Church.  As I ponder how best to serve my children and teach them the Gospel, this is something that is important for me to consider – I want their testimonies to be personal and to the Lord, rather than trying to build them around me.


                Secondly, I was struck by the language that they sought after gods that could not even deliver their own people.  We do that in our day – we seek after a lifestyle that we want to emulate, whether from Hollywood or the scientific community or any other subculture.  We adopt many of these ideas, assumptions, and lifestyle choices uncritically without even bothering to ask whether they serve to make the people who practice them happy.  The Hollywood actor or starlet who is miserable, abused, or drug-addicted is almost cliché.  The miserable curmudgeon of an atheistic, materialistic scientist is all to common.  Why would we look to either example for ways to live?  Instead, let us look to the lifestyle that brings genuine happiness even in times of adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment