Monday, June 1, 2015

3 Nephi 11

(May 28, 2015)
                I was struck again, as I read this chapter, how nearly the first thing that the Savior teaches the people is how contention is of the Devil.  Do I properly understand the significance of that fact?  He could have taught any number of truths in the beginning of His sermon to the people, and presumably He had an order based at least somewhat on importance.  And, knowing this, He began with baptism and from there addressed the importance of avoiding contention.

                In my life, I am struggling with just such a challenge.  I have a number of reasons for wanting to be contentious with someone who is hurting me.  It is a struggle, at times, to resist this desire.  Reading this chapter and recognizing again the importance of avoiding contention is yet another reminder of just how important it is for me to work on this element of my personality and give up the contentious spirit in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment