Friday, June 26, 2015

John 18-19

(June 16, 2015)
                What is it about human nature that drives us to mock the suffering of others.  Apart from the very real irony of the Savior of the World being mocked by people that He came to the Earth to save, the larger truth is that sometimes people are happy at the misery of others.

                As much as I might not want to find this trait in myself, I can see it in me.  In most cases, when I am aware of and empathetic about the suffering someone is going through, I don’t behave in this way.  But there are times when I don’t empathize the way that I should and I find myself happy in someone else’s misery. 


                As I genuinely look at myself, in light of this scripture, I realize how ugly that trait is.  Because Christ is in each of us, and inasmuch as we do it unto the least of the Father’s children, we do it to Christ.  When we mock the suffering of others (even, or perhaps especially, when we feel they ‘deserve’ it), we mock Christ no less than did the Romans and Jews when they mocked Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment