Friday, September 25, 2015

Doctrine and Covenants 16-18

(September 23, 2015)
                Do we fully understand the worth of souls?  I know, in the depths of my heart, that I struggle with this.  I struggle to understand the worth of my own soul, when doubts and weakness threatens to capsize me.  I struggle to understand the worth of the souls of those around me, as I fail to truly love and care for them as the Savior would.  And I especially struggle to understand the worth of the souls of those who are my enemies, who seek my destruction, and those who hurt me.


                Charity must be a gift from God, because it can be acquired in no other way.  I cannot reason my way to feeling the love for those who hurt me that I should.  Yes, I can intellectually accept an understanding of their worth but following in the footsteps of Christ demands more.  It demands that we love those who try to (and succeed at) hurting us as we love ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment