Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Doctrine and Covenants 7-9

(September 18, 2015)
                I had two thoughts as I read through these Sections.  The first was on why the questions that they posed about John were answered.  After all, it isn’t like they were necessary for salvation, and they weren’t directly under their stewardship.  It seems like, in this instance, the Lord was giving them an unnecessary piece of revelation.  Of course, that is unlikely, which means it is far more likely that I am missing something.  But I can’t see what I am missing.

                Secondly, the language that Oliver didn’t continue as he commenced seems to me to indicate that Oliver did commence and commenced correctly (for at least some portion of time).  Did this mean that Oliver translated some (potentially small) portion of the Book of Mormon? I think a fair reading of this Section would indicate that to be true.


                Of course, this really means very little in the grand scheme of things.  But it does make me wonder whether Oliver wrote anything on the translation process. Any insights he had would seem to be highly probative.

No comments:

Post a Comment