Friday, September 4, 2015

Hebrews 13; James 1

(August 24, 2015)
                I had two thoughts as I read through these chapters (both from James).  The first was on James saying that he was a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.  This seems to bluntly, directly, and unequivocally (to my limited understanding) contradict the Nicean conception of the Trinity.  I am, of course, less familiar with their thinking that I am with the religion I know, but I would be curious to know how someone holding that belief addresses James’s words here.

                The second thought was more personal, and something I need to work on.  The scriptures here clearly tell me that the wrath of man does not work the righteousness of God.  I like to tell myself from time to time that it does, and I lie to myself that I can advance the work of the Lord if I “stand up” to those that are being unfair to me.  I am justified, I tell myself, because they have done x, y, and z and these things were both wrong and have hurt me.

                This, of course, is my own pride and foolishness.  James describes a better way – to recognize that getting angry about things or having wrath in my heart does not bring about any righteous result.  Doing so is trusting in the arm of flesh and not the power of the Lord.  I need to remember to turn the other cheek, trust Him, and let Him do His work and just help where He asks me to. iderations, rather than following God because we wanted this or that blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment