Friday, September 25, 2015

Doctrine and Covenants 20

(September 25, 2015)
                Just when I think I have something figured out (the relationship between the Father and Son, and our duties to both), something comes along and demonstrates that I still don’t understand.  I thought after reading Christ in Revelations about the importance of John not worshipping Him that I understood things better.  But in this Section, I see the matter is a little more complex.

                Christ (who, from the Section heading, revealed this Section) reaffirmed that God the Father is the only being that we should worship.  But He added language that all Glory be to the Son, both now and forever.  How do those two different principles interact (all Glory to the Son, but worship only the Father)? With the confusion and ambiguities concerning words, how do we determine to know what is and is not appropriate in our relationship to the Godhead?


                I don’t think that this is an issue that will lead to our destruction if we misunderstand it – I can’t imagine either the Father or the Son being angry if we mistakenly apply ourselves to one or the other (after all, any Glory to the Son is given to the Father by Him).  But understanding this, I feel, will lead to a better understanding of Them and that can do nothing but bless my life if I can come to that understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment